FESTIVAL EVENT SPONSORS
BEST OF SHOW SPONSOR
“This magical place, with dramatic Fundy tides and changing atmospheric conditions, makes for an endless supply of possible painting subjects – every artist’s dream.” – William (Bill) Rogers – Honorary Chair
For the last five thousand years 160 billion tons of water have flowed in and out of the Bay of Fundy four times in twenty four hours. The sea rises and falls forty feet twice a day. The results are some of the most stunning sea/landscapes on the planet.
HONORARY FESTIVAL CHAIRMAN – William Rogers CSPWC TWSA SCA
William (Bill) Rogers is an Elected Member of the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour (CSPWC) of which he is currently the Past President. He is also a signature member of the Transparent Watercolor Society of America (TWSA) and the Société Canadienne de l’Aquarelle (SCA).
In May of 2014, Bill served as the Royal Tour Artist for the 2014 Royal Tour of Canada by HRH Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall. It was the experience of a lifetime.
THE JUDGE – Tom Forrestall
Thomas DeVany Forrestall, C.M., O.N.S., B.F.A. LL.D., RCA was born in Middleton Nova Scotia, in 1936.
Forrestall’s art has been classified as Magic Realism – an imprecise term often used to describe the work of a coterie of east-coast Canadian painters who emerged after the Second World War (Alex Colville, Christopher Pratt, Mary Pratt). Although their geographic roots, styles and vocabularies were similar, these artists applied themselves differently, each adapting naturalism in a personal way.
As an artist, Tom Forrestall is one of the leading figures associated with the visual arts of the Maritime region. His work has been exhibited and represented in every major public collection in the region and beyond, as well as in solo exhibitions in many prominent galleries worldwide. His art has been reproduced in numerous histories of Canadian art and is featured in ‘High Realism in Canada’ the 1974 book by Paul Duval. Two monographs on his paintings have been published, ‘Shaped by This Land (1974) and ‘Returning the Favour: Vision For Vision (1992).
APPLICATIONS FOR 2020 are now open.
For application details, please review the PIPAF ARTIST’S PROSPECTUS – Click here
Apply by February 1st to qualify for our early bird registration fee. The deadline for submissions is on February 15th, 2020.
Thirty qualifying plein air artists will be selected from across North America and will compete for more than $8,000 in cash and product awards.
FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHT OF EVENTS
Artists Competition: Wednesday to Sunday – June 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
- The general public is invited to search out their favorite artist and watch them paint.
- Artist Locations will be marked with bright red and yellow banner flags near their painting location.
- Day one, two and three take in the large area from Advocate Harbour to Five Islands
- Day four boundaries are from Diligent River to Two Islands
- Day five – Speed paint – Parrsboro zone – open to all artists
Collectors’ Preview and Artists Awards Night -Sat June 20, 8-10 pm.
- An opportunity to be the first to see 60 new canvasses “hot off the press”!
- A chance to purchase your favourite painting(s) before the public art sales on Sunday June 21.
Speed Paint Event– 12:00 to 2:00 pm – Sun, June 21
- Artists will paint from noon until 2 pm, judging will happen at 2:30.This competition is open to everyone – juried artists and all members of the public.
- Painting will occur in the downtown core of Parrsboro.
- Prizes are: $300, $200 and $100.
Public Art Sales – Sun, June 21, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
The Hall, 44 King Street
Art Lab Studios & Gallery, 121 Main Street.
EVENT SCHEDULE AND PROTOCOL FOR ARTISTS
Download here the Event Schedule and Protocol for Artists.
Applications will be juried by master plein air artists, Tom Forrestall and Susan Paterson.
We reserve the right to increase the number of awards as more sponsors join us.
- Best in Show – $2,500 plus Plein Air Magazine 1/2 page ad valued at US$2150
- Second Place Award – $1,500
- Third Place Award – $1,000
- Best Use of Light – $500
- Best Seascape – $500
- Best Nocturne – $500
- Artists’ Choice Award – Product
- Product Awards
A highlight event where collectors, corporate interests, political figures, the artists and the general public will have first viewing of sixty original canvasses – and first chance to purchase! – before these new works of arts go up for public sale the following day.
General admission* – $TBA
*doors will be open for general admission ticket holders at 8pm.
VIP Admission – $TBA – Offers first viewing of new works and the opportunity to purchase before general admission. Doors will be open to VIP ticket holders at 7pm.
FESTIVAL POINTS OF NOTE:
- Applications to participate in this Festival can be made online.
- Public Sales will take place on the Sunday of the festival.
- Information about artists painting location sites will be provided to the public.
- Housing will be provided for participating artists.
Plein air painting images courtesy Bill Rogers, Joy Laking, Tom Forrestall and the 2017 participating artists