APPLICATIONS FOR 2020
opens – Dec. 1
closes – Feb. 15
Early Bird registration available until Feb 1
The Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival (PIPAF) will take place in Parrsboro Nova Scotia from Wednesday, June 17 th, through Sunday, June 21st, 2020 with a compulsory meet, greet and canvas stamping on the evening of June 16. The event is located on the spectacular Minas Basin, part of the world famous Bay of Fundy which is home to the highest tides in the world.
AWARDS JUDGE – Tom Forrestall
APPLICATION JURY – Tom Forrestall and Susan Paterson
– Open to all artists 18 years and older.
– Artists will be accepted to participate in the Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival through a juried process.
– The Acceptance Jury will select 30 artists to compete for over $6000 in cash and product awards.
There are three step to the Application Process
- Fill in and Submit the Application Form
- Send the PIFAF three images via the application form. All three images MUST be images of your plein air work. Studio work will not be accepted and the work must have been accomplished in the previous eighteen months
- Make your payment via our secure on line service.
- Once the three steps have been completed you’ll receive a confirmation notice.
- The on-line application must be received by the Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival committee no later than February 15, 2020.
- Image Information
- All three images MUST be images of your plein air work. Studio work will not be accepted and the work must have been accomplished in the previous eighteen months
- Each image should be in jpeg format and sized to AT LEAST 1000 pixels at their largest dimension (height or width).
- Each image must be no more than 3MB
- Images should represent the original artwork with no enhancements with photoshop or similar programs other than minor lighting corrections and re-sizing.
- Send full image, do not include frame or anything other than painted image.
- Identify each jpeg image as follows: Your Last Name, then First Name, followed by the painting number (e.g., Smith_John_1, Smith_John_2, Smith_John_3)
- Include fully completed online Application Form
- Application Fee – C$40 by midnight AST February 1, C$50 between February 1 and February 15. The application fee (non-refundable) can be paid during the on line registration process. (credit card or pay pal)
- Successful Artists will be notified of their acceptance to the competition during the week of March 1, 2020. Those accepted will be provided with more event details.
- Artists must confirm their participation by email no later than March 15.
- Artists must submit their profile photo and 4 (only) one line career highlight bullet points by March 15.
Cash and Product awards of more than $6000
- Best in Show – $2,500 plus Plein Air magazine half page ad valued at US$ 2150
- Second Place Award –$1,500
- Third Place Award –$1,000
- Special category awards.
- Best Use of Light – $500
- Best Seascape – $500
- Best Nocturne – $500
- The Contender – tba
- Artists’ Choice – tba
- Honourable Mention Product Awards – tba
A hosting program is available via billets arranged by the PIPAF accommodation committee. Our hosting families agree to provide artists with a bed, bath and food space in the refrigerator. This will be for artists only as we may not be able to provide for spouses, children or pets – a request may be made but no guarantees. Hosting will be done on a first come, first serve basis, depending on how many rooms become available. Local B&Bs, Inns, Cabins, Campgrounds and other accommodations will be listed in the Accepted Artist’s information packets for those who prefer their own private accommodations.
Artist Reception and Registration – Art Lab Studios and Gallery, 121 Main St – June 16
- A wine and cheese reception for artist competitors and their hosts
- Artists will register and receive information packets at this time regarding the Parrsboro Area. Canvases and papers will be stamped.
- Maximum painting dimensions are limited to 30 inches including frame, horizontally or vertically.
- Additional canvas stamping will be available at Art Lab Studios throughout the event.
- Artists will paint anywhere in Parrsboro and surrounding area on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The daily zones for painting will be posted prior to June 16th.
- Artists must turn in two framed paintings to The Hall (44 King Street), ready to hang, on Saturday, June 20th by 6pm
- Artists may turn in two additional framed works for exhibition at Art Lab (121 Main Street) at 6:30 pm Saturday June 20th.
- Canadian artists must clearly indicate that HST is included in their stated price if they are required to charge it.
- Awards Night and Collectors’ Preview will be held Saturday, June 20th at the The Hall located in Parrsboro from 8pm -10pm
- The Exhibition which is open to the public will continue Sunday, June 21st, at the The Hall from 9am to 5 pm.
- Should a non award work sell and be removed it may be replaced by the artist. Should an award work be sold it can only be removed and replaced with the permission of the Event Director.
- Ensure that your pricing is not distorted in comparison to others. Pricing needs to conform to as level a playing field as possible. This stipulation does not apply to upper end pricing.
- No artist shall sell, purport to sell or carry on any form of commerce in the County of Cumberland as relates to their work, while participating in the event, unless such sale is pursuant to the terms of this agreement.
- Breach of the above terms shall constitute a violation of the agreement and exclusion of the Artist from the program at the discretion of Event Director.
- Artists must leave their work for exhibition until 5 pm on Sunday.
- Following the final exhibition all unsold works must be retrieved by the artist on Sunday between 5 and 6pm, or arrangements must be made for shipping and insurance at the artist’s expense.
- Parrsboro Creative will receive 40% of the proceeds of all sales and the artist will receive 60%. Payments to the artists for sold work will be mailed within 30 days of the event.
- Post event sales must still account for the commission of 40% for the first thirty days and 30% for the next thirty days. We rely on the honour system.
By submitting the application form all PIPAF 2020 juried participants give Parrsboro Creative their permission to use for promotional purposes images of:
1) work submitted for their application;
2) work created during the PIPAF 2020;
3) photos/videos of the artists painting during PIPAF 2020
4) photos/videos of the artists participating at PIPAF 2020 events
AGREEMENT TO TERMS, CONDITIONS & EXHIBITION DETAILS
By submitting the application form the artist agrees to all PIPAF 2020 Terms, Conditions & Exhibition Details stated above.
LIABILITY & PARTICIPATION AGREEMENT
I expressly understand and agree that Parrsboro Creative nor any of its agents, volunteers, assistants, or employees shall be held responsible or made subject of any claim seeking to assess damage or loss of any sort to myself of other person on whose behalf this form is now signed as a result of actual or proposed participation in the above mentioned activity or program, and hereby agree to indemnify and hold Parrsboro Creative, its officers, agents, volunteers or employees harmless of any such claim.
Parrsboro Creative is a registered non profit society.
To download the prospectus, click here.
If you have any questions feel free to contact the Executive Director:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-728-2007.
Parrsboro International Plein Air Festival
P.O. Box 681
Parrsboro, NS, Canada